Microsoft hotfix indexer and browser

A while back I made a quick hotfix indexer script and database browser.

These were not too great but had sufficient functionality for the time. Now that I have expanded on functionality I want to write this as a single post.

Any Microsoft enterprise technician could see the value in having a list like this.
The question is why Microsoft don’t provide this list themselves.
Anyhow, let’s begin!

This package contains three files. One indexer.ps1. One HotfixBrowser.ps1 and a config file where you specify SQL connectionstring and table to be used before running the scripts.

The heart of the script is the indexer. It goes through a range specified and lists them in a database. The table must have the following columns:

Capture2

Other columns can be added if needed and will be listed in the hotfix browser.
What I do is add a scheduled task that runs this script with a set of ranges every weekend to get a up-to date view.

When the indexer has completed you can start HotfixBrowser.ps1browser

From here you can search with standard SQL syntax. All fields to a LIKE search so for example All windows 8 hotfixes released during 2014 has this search criteria.
2

Clicking search allows you to quickly see the short text of all articles involving Windows 8 with a hotfix download available allowing you to work efficiently and determine if any of the hotfixes are applicable to your client environment.
3

There are also the option to go ‘advanced’ which allows you to edit the Select query as you see fit.
4

In the File menu you can export the current datatable as a CSV file.
In the tools mode you can save and load searches as well as choose visible columns and enable edit mode.
Edit mode makes the cells writable and allows you to send a UPDATE query to the server (given the appropriate rights) to edit some fields such as note and other custom fields.

Project: 3D Printer from scratch. Part 5 – Trial and error. And finally success!

With all the mechanical parts assembled all that is left is firmware calibration – or so we thought.

With all basic calibration done we noticed on prints that the X and Y axises were shifting. as shown below. Looking around and asking on communities this seems often to be due to when the stepper motors skips steps or the timing belt slipping.
We tried everything suggested, from cooling stepper drivers, motors, tightening belts and turning down acceleration in the firmware but nothing worked.

It was first when we loosened the belts and ran the motors we noticed that the pulleys were slipping off the shafts. This was because the pulleys screws were biting into the brass pipe which we used to bridge the gap between our motors and the pulleys did not provide enough friction. When we loosened the belts even less friction was applied between the brass and drive shaft and the slippage became apparent.IMAG1013 IMAG1012 IMAG1011 IMAG1020   IMAG1022 IMAG1023 IMAG1024

After buying some metal epoxy to fixate everything together we are able to finally produce perfectly straight prints!

IMAG1025
The print above are some holders for a spool where I designed the feet myself.
It’s quite an amazing feeling to draw something in a 3D program one day and to hold it the next.
IMAG1027

Project: 3D Printer from scratch. Part 4 – Assembly

With all the parts delivered it was time to assemble.

I’m not going to go through the whole build process. But it consisted of loads of screwing around (pun intended) and It’s not the prettiest build but i honestly don’t care about looks. It’s function I’m after.

To make a long story short here are some pictures of the build process:
IMG_0729
IMG_0730 IMG_0714 IMG_0715 IMG_0716 IMG_0717 IMG_0718

IMG_0719

IMG_0720

IMG_0721

IMG_0722
IMG_0724 IMG_0725 IMG_0726 IMG_0727 IMG_0728

IMG_0733

IMG_0732

One issue we had was that the motors shaft diameter was 4mm and the pulleys had 5mm. We solved this by buying a brass pipe with 4mm inner and 5mm outer diameter.
We then cut the pipe and screwed them on. This kept the pulleys from rotating in an elipse and gave us a nice smooth circular and even rotation.

Not being the most experianced DIY guys we spent about half a billion hours on assembly. But in the end it worked and we managed to produce our first ever print!

Success!!!
IMG_0755