Project: 3D Printer from scratch. Part 4 – Assembly

With all the parts delivered it was time to assemble.

I’m not going to go through the whole build process. But it consisted of loads of screwing around (pun intended) and It’s not the prettiest build but i honestly don’t care about looks. It’s function I’m after.

To make a long story short here are some pictures of the build process:
IMG_0729
IMG_0730 IMG_0714 IMG_0715 IMG_0716 IMG_0717 IMG_0718

IMG_0719

IMG_0720

IMG_0721

IMG_0722
IMG_0724 IMG_0725 IMG_0726 IMG_0727 IMG_0728

IMG_0733

IMG_0732

One issue we had was that the motors shaft diameter was 4mm and the pulleys had 5mm. We solved this by buying a brass pipe with 4mm inner and 5mm outer diameter.
We then cut the pipe and screwed them on. This kept the pulleys from rotating in an elipse and gave us a nice smooth circular and even rotation.

Not being the most experianced DIY guys we spent about half a billion hours on assembly. But in the end it worked and we managed to produce our first ever print!

Success!!!
IMG_0755